Tuesday, July 23, 2013

walking at a turtle's pace

Sometimes I think it's hard to keep in mind that really well trained dogs were once puppies too.  Olive is incredibly wilful (more on that in another post) and sometimes training can be slow going with certain subjects.  She is incredibly smart and friendly - a little too outgoing.  Lately we have been working on loose leash walking (working towards a true heel) and while my method seems to be working, it sure does make every walk take ten times as long as it used to.
Olive likes to run up to everyone to say hello.  She especially loves children and she especially loves children playing games outside.  In my initial attempts to help Olive become well-socialized I ended up letting her develop an intense pulling problem on leash.  She knows she isn't supposed to, and when no one is around she will walk calmly on a loose leash at least somewhere close to my side, but as soon as she sees someone she wants to talk to she goes running to the end of her lead and jumps up at whoever she wants to say hello to.  In a largely hispanic neighborhood, this has created an issue where many of my neighborhood children thought she was jumping to bite them.  This has prompted me to start learning enough Spanish to talk to these children about Olive, which I hope will come in handy in the future when we work with children.
But back to her pulling and jumping - my current rule is if you pull we don't walk.  Dogs like to walk, Olive wants to GO - so if she learns that pulling means we don't go my hope is that she will discontinue the behavior and walk calmly so as to get to her destination sooner.  I am seeing improvement but it's slow going.  She just really loves running to children!
After about a week of walking like this (take a step, stop, take a step, stop with the occasional really great loose leash patch) I thought maybe instead of just stopping I would have her sit at my side and make eye contact before continuing.  This has made a huge difference for her.  She is quicker now to look at me when she wants to move on which means it's easier for me to communicate a command to her without her getting too wrapped up and focused on whatever she is trying to get to.
I've attached a couple videos - one of the pulling when she sees a dog or kid (in this case a dog who you can hear barking at her. They are great friends) and one of her walking on loose leash after getting past the dog.  I couldn't catch me actually getting her to sit and look at me because I am bad at phone videos.


No comments:

Post a Comment